This role profile is non-contractual and provided for guidance. It will be updated and amended from time to time in accordance with the changing needs of the council and the requirements of the job.
PURPOSE OF ROLE:
· Develop, implement and sustain communications activity in support of the council’s corporate communications strategy using appropriate political awareness and sensitivity.
· Provide expert advice to protect the council’s reputation in the media, responding quickly and effectively to sustain positive coverage and manage issues.
· Use effective pro-active skills to promote its policies, priorities and advance its corporate ambitions through communication activity.
· Be aware of new developments in communications and use innovative techniques to advance council communications.
· Evaluate effectiveness of communications activity undertaken and make recommendations based on this data.
· Support the launch of Broadway Living, the council’s housing development company.
· To work with senior managers and members to plan, cost and deliver a range of marketing, media and communications activities to support client departments’ business plans and council priorities in liaison with colleagues across the department.
· Develop and implement a wide range of media and communications strategies to support allocated portfolio briefs to secure positive coverage and influence opinion to further the council’s position.
· Build and maintain excellent working relationships with internal client departments to provide an account management role for their communication requirements.
· To lead across the department on handling media issues including briefing and preparing spokespeople for media interviews. Escort members and senior officers to external engagements and interviews as required.
· Use creative approaches to secure positive media coverage for the council through an effective proactive and reactive media and communications service and rebut inaccurate and hostile coverage.
· Build and maintain close links with national, regional, trade and local media, key bloggers and social media influencers and develop contacts within specialist areas of activity to increase the amount of positive coverage about the council.
· Monitor emerging issues, both positive and negative, and advise senior managers and cabinet members, as directed by the senior media and communications officer, to ensure the council is positioned to capitalise on opportunities and defend against negative stories.
· Develop new and interesting story ideas and research, write, proof-read and edit copy for a range of communications purposes.
· Contribute to the maintenance of a corporate communications plan to underpin the corporate communications strategy.
· Work with appropriate stakeholders, partner organisations and regional and national government to communicate the council’s policies and strategies and seek to influence for positive effect.
· To be responsible for managing budgets associated with activity for which the post-holder is the lead and make recommendations on expenditure.
· To be responsible for evaluating the marketing and communications activity for which the post holder is the lead and make recommendations for presentation to senior managers.
· To commission a range of print and creative design services and other marketing campaign materials through internal and external suppliers, making detailed recommendations to ensure that creative campaigns meet the council’s marketing requirements.
· To be responsible for writing and uploading of content to council websites and digital channels and social media.
· Understand the benefits of the borough’s diversity by promoting and enabling equality of opportunity through communications activity.
· Use new ideas and creative approaches to proactively promote the council and its priorities and to monitor what is being said about the council online.
· To manage multi-disciplinary project teams working on campaigns for which the post holder is responsible, including the management of the work of agency or contractor staff.
· To establish and maintain effective working communications and liaison with a range of services to create awareness and understanding of the role of the department and in particular communications to influence the adoption of best practice.
· Occasionally participate in an on-call rota to deal with urgent calls from the media and provide advice to the council’s senior officers, cabinet members and emergency response team 24-hours a day, seven days a week.
· Attend evening meetings and occasionally attend events outside normal office hours and undertake other duties as directed in line with the overall marketing and communications objectives of the council.
· Provide strategic communications planning and expert advice to Ealing Council’s housing development company, Broadway Living.
· To develop and lead on the delivery of communications activity to support the transition to the launch of Broadway Living as a fully resourced, independent company in April, using appropriate political awareness and sensitivity.
KEY PERFORMANCE INDICATORS:
§ Number of instances of positive online, regional and national media coverage.
§ Level of residents’ satisfaction in surveys (including the residents’ survey) and customer insight.
§ Level of residents’ awareness of the council and its policies in the residents’ survey.
§ Performance indicators for specific campaigns e.g. increased service usage, attendance at events, hits online, customer satisfaction and feedback.
§ Any relevant results for the council’s employee survey e.g. awareness or priorities or particular campaigns
KEY RELATIONSHIPS (INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL):
· Council leader and cabinet members
· Chief executive and corporate board
· Directors and heads of service
· Strategy and engagement staff
· Key partners, e.g. Ealing Police, Health, other areas of government
AUTHORITY LEVEL (PEOPLE, POLICY, FINANCIAL):
ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
ESSENTIAL EXPERIENCE / QUALIFICATION(S):
· Demonstrable experience of good project management skills