Watermans is a multi-disciplinary arts centre, housing a 239-seat theatre, a 121-seat cinema, a gallery space, another exhibition area, 2 studios, a restaurant and bar, and a foyer area with a standing capacity of 500, all of which provides an adaptable range of facilities for an extensive programme of cultural activities and entertainment. As well as Watermans we also manage and staff Bell Square, the outdoor performance space in Hounslow.
Watermans is located at the eastern end of the London Borough of Hounslow, and it plays an important role in both local and regional arts provision. The borough has an ethnically, socially and economically diverse population, and Watermans’ policies reflect the Centre’s commitment to meeting the artistic needs of the local and wider communities it aims to serve.The Customer Relations Team act as the public face of Watermans, greeting and guiding every one of our audiences and visitors so that they get the best from us, each time they visit.
Working Principles of Watermans Arts Centre
Watermans is operating in a rapidly changing environment which is both exhilarating and demanding. All our staff must be committed to a common set of principles and to sharing key ground rules:
- Providing a high quality, exciting and coherent programme is at the heart of Watermans artistic policy.
- The needs and aspirations of audiences and users are key to informing and in spiring all aspects of Watermans work.
- We operate as an Equal Opportunities employer and equality both in the workplace and in service delivery is given the highest possible priority.
- We operate as a team. Each member of staff needs to be able to give and to take feedback
- Planning, monitoring and evaluation are collaborative activities: we all have a role to play in them.
- We are committed to working collaboratively with external partners, including other cultural providers; local authorities and the regional and national arts funding system.
- We are willing and open to incorporating relevant change into our working practices. Sometimes this means initiating change ourselves and sometimes it means responding to changes in our work environment.
Purpose of Post
To lead the Customer Relations Team (CRT) in the provision of high quality customer service and an excellent customer experience at every touchpoint. To role model expected behaviours to the team, leading by example.
Overall responsibility for recruiting, developing, managing and motivating the CRT with line management responsibilities for all permanent CRT employees (Deputy CRM and CRRs):
- Recruit staff to maintain sufficient staffing to cover shifts at all times
- Design/update and present training according to need. Areas for training include customer service, health and safety, fire and evacuation, processes, systems, first aid and other sundry training that may be required.
- Identify where training is needed and implement it quickly and effectively. Ensure that behaviours in the CRT reflect what has been learnt Performance manage the team, holding regular meetings with staff as individuals and as a team to maintain high standards and motivation
- Allocate tasks within team to use time as effectively as possible
- To maintain a high level of accuracy amongst the team in the handling of sales transactions, reports, cashing up etc.
To proactively and effectively forward plan, collaborating across teams and with the Senior Management Team, to ensure that staffing provision is fit for purpose and delivering against Watermans’ high standard for customer service.
- Managing the rota for Duty Managers and Customer Relations Representatives
- Liaising with the technical team, programming and marketing team and SMT to ensure that all requirements are covered
To deliver an outstanding customer experience across all touchpoints:
- Generate a culture of passion and interest in the programme, underpinned by excellent knowledge and understanding of the programme. Embed this in all communications with customers
- Set and maintain high standards of communication with customers whether digitally, in the venue or over the phone
- Ensure the venue is looking its very best at all times
- Ensure that customers are safe and looked after at all times when in the venue
- Meet and exceed customer expectations.
To support the marketing team in delivering sales and an excellent customer experience, effectively managing your team to do so:
- Provide a conduit for regular customer feedback and work with marketing to develop and implement effective ways of capturing and acting on customer feedback
- Develop and deliver against sales targets as agreed with marketing director
- Provide reports and information as required
- Generate word of mouth about Watermans both in the real world and in social media channels
- Support marketing in keeping up to date programme listings on the website.
- To attend weekly staff meetings and other meetings/briefings as required.
- To provide reports and information as may be required by the wider team in relation to these duties.
- To work flexibly and during unsocial hours, including evenings and weekends, as may be required by the rota, also off site if required.
- To act as Duty Manager when on site.
- To work as a team with other members of Watermans’ staff, committing to the achievement of the Centre’s goals
- To undertake any training provided by the Trust appropriate to the post
- To commit to the Watermans Arts Centre Equal Opportunities Policy and practice
- To undertake any other duties commensurate with these responsibilities as management may require from time to time.
Responsible to: The Marketing Director
Responsible for: The Customer Relations Team
Terms & Conditions: To be confirmed
- Essential Experience and Attributes
- Significant experience of effective team management in a customer service or retail environment
- Experience in box office environment
- Significant experience of delivering customer service, especially under pressure
- Experience of dealing confidently and effectively with a wide range of people
- Outstanding communications skills, especially when under pressure
- Good self-presentation skills
- Experience of working in the Arts
- GCSE or equivalent English and Maths
- Good ICT skills
- Able to work under pressure
- Able to work flexibly
- Ability to work evenings and weekends as required
- Good knowledge of health and safety and fire and evacuation regulations.
Desirable Experience and Attributes
- Experience of working in a proactive sales environment and implementing sales
- Experience of working in a Box Office environment
- Experience of working in an Arts environment
- Experience of working with a ticketing system (we currently use Ticketsolve)